Phonics – Floppy's Phonics
Phonics is taught using the Floppy’s Phonics Programme. Teachers follow structured lessons as part of this programme. The sounds are taught progressively; Set 1, Set 2 and Set 3 sounds. Each sound is introduced with a short rhyme and picture to make the sound memorable. These can be found at the bottom of this page.
Red words are also taught. These are words that cannot be sounded out and have tricky letters. These words need to be taught to be read on sight.
Floppy’s Phonics in Early Years
Our RWI Programme begins in our Nursery where adults and children share a wide variety of books. This allows the children time to explore and use new vocabulary and develop understanding of story book language. Children are then introduced to the pictures that go with each Set 1 sound. In the third term, the children begin to learn the letter sound correspondences. Children then move through to the reception class where their RWI journey continues. In Reception, children take part in daily RWI ‘Speed Sound’ sessions. In these sessions, children will learn a new sound, read simple words and a take part in writing activities. As children learn and recall new sounds, they are then encouraged to break words down into individual sounds. In Reception, children are also introduced to ‘Ditties’ and appropriate storybooks. Once children become more confident with their reading, they are also introduced to Set 2 sounds towards the end of the Reception year.
All phonics sessions occur daily and for a minimum of 15 minutes in Early Years and for a minimum of 30 minutes in KS1.
More Information on the Floppy’s Phonics Programme
- See the resources (Unboxing video) http://fdslive.oup.com/www.oup.com/oxed/primary/literacy/ort/floppys_phonics/floppys_phonics_tp_unboxing_uk.mp4
- How the programme works (Interactive Teaching Cycle) https://fdslive.oup.com/www.oup.com/oxed/primary/ort/floppys-phonics-teaching-sequence/index.html?region=uk
- What other schools say (again, links directly to our site if these are ever updated)
- Hartford Manor Primary School – https://fdslive.oup.com/www.oup.com/oxed/primary/literacy/ort/floppys_phonics/casestudy_floppysphonics_hartfordmanor_aug20.pdf?region=uk
- Lord Scudamore Academy https://debbiehepplewhite.com/lord-scudamore-academy-is-a-school-where-the-ort-floppys-phonics-ssp-programme-has-been-used-successfully-and-enjoyably-for-a-decade/?region=uk